Welcome to Sunflower class page!
Our school value this half term is 'Tolerance', and our topic is 'Ahoy me hearties!', an exciting pirate theme for us to explore!
As in previous terms, we will continue to plan learning opportunities for children based around the seven areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum. Adults will continue to work and play alongside children, observing, supporting, talking, listening, facilitating and extending children's learning. We will be supporting children to develop a range of characteristics of effective learning, such as self confidence, persistence, imagination, problem solving, working together and concentrating.
Areas of the curriculum
Personal, Social and Emotional Development:
- thinking about our own feelings and the feelings of others
- P4C (Philosophy for Children) enquiries where we can explore what tolerance means to us
- continuing to develop our gross and fine motor skills
- learning about how to keep ourselves safe and healthy
Communication and Language
- developing our speaking, listening and understanding skills
- sharing pirate stories
- consolidating and learning phonics
- learning to read and write our high frequency words/tricky words
- continuing on our quest to learn to read
- asking and answering questions about the books we are reading, to check we understand what we have read and making predictions about what might happen next
- being a good talk partner - speaking, listening and understanding
- story telling - both of stories by other people and our own
- writing in our special books
- using everyday languge to talk about time, shape, number and counting
- saying what number is one more/one less than
- comparing different lengths, weights and capacities
Understanding the World
- designing and making our own treasure maps
- making 3-d models - thinking about function, and resources, reviewing our finished product
- creating pictures on the computer using the painting programme 'Colour Magic'
- programming the 'bee bots' (programmable floor robots) to follow a path to find treasure
- Welly walks - exploring the world around us
- celebrating all of the different languages the children and families in our class community speak
Expressive Arts and Design
- painting pictures linked to our topic and own interests
- learning song, words and actions for our end of term play 'Billie No Buzz'
- moving and responding to music
- listening to music and using percussion instruments to keep a steady beat
Communication: I am usually available for a quick chat either at the start or end of the day (except Wednesdays as this is staff meeting day). Should you need to contact me out of school hours please use the 'Email Bethan' button at the top of the page.